Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Liatris punctata – dotted blazing star

While visiting my parents this summer, I noticed this beautiful flower in my mom's garden. She did not know where it came from nor did she know what it was but she also liked the flower and the color that she let it grow. Thanks to Plant ID Quiz (Twitter) who identified this plant for me I can now post the photographs here.

The Liatris is a herbaceous perennial plant native to North America and in Canada can be found in Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba. It  grows in dry conditions in full sun, but will handle moist conditions. The seeds are collected in the fall and 12 to 14 weeks before spring planting, are placed in a resealable bag of moist soil placed in the refrigerator.

Mom is sending me some seeds so that I can enjoy these in my garden next year



No comments:

Post a Comment